Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the "nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing" blog. day 20.

I spent the weekend driving back and forth to Deer Park and Chewelah for Jordan's baseball tournament, which resulted in 1) a very tired Megan who consumed more caffeine than considered healthy and 2) a wide variety of photographs in the down time that we had (because Jordan would have to be at the field an hour and a half before game time). So here is the first of four posts of photographs from this weekend.

Every day of this tournament, which was the Memorial Day Triple A Legion Tournament, I thought of the reason behind Memorial Day. For years, we spent Memorial Day opening up our cabin on Priest Lake, welcoming in the summer season and enjoying a much needed 3 day weekend before the end of school. Since I am no longer a student, a 3 day weekend is just a bonus day of family time for me, and we didn't get to spend this year at the cabin for a multitude of reasons.  But this year, I found myself thinking more and more about the "Memorial" part of Memorial Day. I drove around Chewelah quite a bit Sunday and Monday, and came across several cemeteries that were covered with flowers on every tombstone. I walked around a park and came across a war memorial that stopped me in my tracks. I am so grateful for the freedom provided to me, and for some reason, I'm at a point in my life that I can appreciate what others do for me, even though they might be complete strangers. I have come to understand exactly what soldiers give up in their lives to protect all of ours - and I cannot express in words how truly thankful I am for them. I can never repay them for what they do for all of us, and I can never give back to them the things that they gave up for me. You hear heartbreaking stories about soldiers all the time, but I never fully comprehended what they give up until I knew someone personally.

My mom's best friend Linda has a son that is currently in Afghanistan, and he already served a tour in Iraq. I've known Jake since I was in middle school, and that kid has a huge heart. When his sister Meghan got married, he didn't get to be there in the flesh. He misses birthdays, and Mother's/Father's Days, weddings and special occasions, and I know that he feels forgotten sometimes because it is hard to maintain relationships with people in the military (even though social media helps.. it isn't perfect). But I want him to know that I think of him often. I want him to know that he is in my heart and in my prayers always, and that I know what he has lost because of his service. I want him to know that there are always people in his life that will provide a smile, a hug, a laugh, or a shoulder when he needs one. And I want him to know that I appreciate his service, and the service of the men and women around him. I am so glad they are there for him, have his back, and are there to talk to about the things they are going through. I am educated, but I will never know what they see - however, I do know what it is like to see things that are hard, and it isn't easy.

Today's photo concept was shoes, and I could have photographed my Vans, but I came across something better. So thank you to all of the service men and women who put their lives on the line for us. Freedom isn't free, but it is possible because of you all.

With so much love,
Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment